Sunday, November 28, 2010

neuland rocks



i love neuland. these are very old. back in the day when i would address an envelope and then look for a stamp. i refuse to put a stamp on an envelope if the stamp clashes with the lettering. so...now i always have my stamp ready. i know people who will spend a LOT of time on an envelope and then go to the p.o. and see what they can find. seriously. i couldn't do that.

i also had a client call me from the parking lot at the p.o., in tears because the postal worker did not have any stamps that matched her envelope and then the postal worker barked at her, "good grief, it's just a stamp." you'd think the postal workers would appreciate our dedication to their product.

5 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with the crying lady in the parking lot more.... but yes, always start with the stamp!! Don't forget you can design your own stamps too. Thank you so much for posting daily, I look forward to it everymorning to check out your site!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My complete sympathies to anyone who is at the crying stage about their mail art. I have not yet cried at the P.O., though I do have a number of envelopes that are still waiting for suitable stamps. What I would like to know today is if anyone out there has ever had the P.O. open a media mail package addressed to them. This happened to me this weekend. The P.O. inspected a John Neal package I'd ordered, to see if Sheila Water's retrospective Scripsit & a copy of Eloquent Line qualified for a reduced postal rate. The ordeal felt like something from a dystopian novel. The package was carefully resealed with an official explanation, and the *contents qualify as media mail* box was checked. I wonder how much money in labor was spent in the effort. Too bad I didn't have some nudes in there to make it interesting for them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. goodness...we need to alert john neal that the p.o. is scrutinizing his shipments. i'm glad you like the daily postings, rena. i just found a box of old stuff and there are some fun ones coming up. a couple that were stamped and addressed to jackie...but i liked them too much to mail them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have I even seen them? I might know about one of them, and if it's the one I am thinking of, we're all in for a treat - it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think i showed you the one with the candy heart stamp. the other one is olive green uncial with gold gouache vinework. the stamp is a madonna with a lot of black and some gold.there is also a postcard with an image of a woman and her mail. maybe it isn't mail, but it's a lotta stuff :-)

    ReplyDelete