Saturday, August 6, 2011

tami from cheryl


this was supposed to be the first post in the *tami series* but the others had to be bumped ahead in line, so now it is the last one.

tami sent me some scans of envelopes in her collection. she has moved, so this is not her current address. she thought i might have done this one, but it is the work of cheryl adams. cheryl was my second calligraphy teacher. the first was stan hess, one of the hess brothers, the one who taught at drake. i learned uncials from him. although he just told us to buy a book and copy the letters. cheryl was my teacher back in the 90's when i started taking classes at the local art museum. cheryl brought notebooks full of decorated envelopes to classes and that is what launched my *thing* with envelopes. don't know what to call it. obsession sounds too much like an illness or disorder. need a word. prizes awarded to people who come up with good words to describe a reasonable (although admittedly excessive) relationship with a paper product.

8 comments:

  1. congratulations to the winner.... and this reminds me of the time i won the international penmanship contest in my age category. i never did find out if i was the only one who entered. thank you thank you. will send the prize tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I waited all day to give the others an opportunity to win. Then I started to wonder if maybe everyone really does think your thing with envelopes is a disorder. At which point I had to disagree with the people who aren't saying anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you can't imagine what i went through waiting to see if someone would save me from the stigma of being disordered. serenity is restored to 44th street.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jean - I'm coming clean . . . I'm one of your 'lurkers'. i enjoy your posts and analysis each day. Been gone from DM for 40 plus years but enjoy that 'connection,' too.
    The description of your preoccupation (great term) that popped into my head was 'totally enveloped!'
    Don't have any idea whether or not I can figure out how to post this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for taking time to figure out how to post...and congratulations...you are a winner too. that is a great word to describe the situation...and it is very warm and cozy. i'll try to drop more duh moines references...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just knew someone would come up with a good idea - and it's more genre specific. Hooray for Bee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. how about enveloped with preoccupation?

    ReplyDelete